He leads me beside waters of rest

 


My head hit the pillow and I thanked God for sleep. It was 9:00 and my usual 10:00 on a work night bed time had been coming an hour, sometimes two, sooner since pregnancy (if you know, you know). But as I thanked God for sleep I thanked him for rest of a different kind: rest from my mind. 

I'm just tired of thinking today, Father. My mind needs a break. I don't want to talk anymore and I don't think I could even offer anything else if I tried.

Have you felt this way before? Maybe from weariness of life and sometimes just from being a human with limitations and a body and mind that wants a break?

I read this passage and I think "Yes, Lord! Lead me by waters of rest! That's what I want!" And don't we all? We want a rest deeper than a good night's sleep or breakfast in bed or sleeping in (though those things wouldn't hurt). We want a rest from the worries and trials and sorrows and heartaches this world can bring. From financial struggles and loneliness and the ache of longing and the weight of responsibilities and the everyday mundane routines of parenthood. We want rest. Even if we keep our daily routines could we please have a lifting of our spirit? Relief from the weight we seem to feel?

This is not the first time God promises to give us rest. Jesus himself said, "Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest." 

What does this rest look like? How do we recieve it? All I know is to come to him. To walk with him. To let him lead us into this rest. 

Our worries and our heaviness and our sorrows won't disappear until we are with him in glory but if we come to him and let him lead us into rest maybe we will find our worries changing and perhaps lifting as we get a grander and holier perspective. Maybe we will find our heaviness lighter with the joy of the Lord and the power he has. Maybe you will find your sorrows still sorrowful but comfort coming in his love and presence. 


The Lord is my shepherd. I lack nothing. 

He lets me rest in grassy meadows;

he leads me to restful waters;

he keeps me alive.

He guides me in proper paths

for the sake of his good name.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,

I fear no danger because you are with me.

Your rod and your staff---

they protect me.

You set a table for me

right in front of my enemies.

You bathe my head in oil;

my cup is so full it spills over!

Yes, goodness and faithful love

will pursue me all the days of my life,

and I will live in the Lord's house

as long as I live.


image: source

Comments

Popular Posts