surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

 


I love that word surely. The psalmist is sure, certain. Some footnotes say this word can be interpreted "only." Only goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life. Do I believe this? Do I expect this? 

English translations differ but essentially good things will be following the writer: goodness, mercy, love. David, the writer, didn't have an easy life but he did have a life with God. He did have a life as a child of Him. And as children of God we have his love coming after us, caring for us, keeping us.

Parents delight in their children just as our Father delights in us. He doesn't look at us as unlovely creatures he is obligated to care for, holding us as at a distance, wishing there was someone else to do this. He sees us as his children. And parents know their children will have tantrums and misbehave and be entitled. They know that discipline and guidance and correction will be necessary. But they also know that they love their little troublemakers. They listen and care and mend their skinned knees and broken hearts. 

Our Father isn't looking at us as despicable people. He looks at us as children. And as parents long to love their children he longs to love us too. And his love will follow us, chase after us, for the rest of our lives.

God, my Shepherd! I don't need a thing.

You have bedded me down in lush meadows,

you find me quiet pools to drink from.

True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction.

Even though the way goes through the Dark Valley,

I'm not afraid when you walk at my side.

Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure.

You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies.

You revive my drooping head;

my cup brims with blessing.

Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life.

I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.

Comments

Popular Posts