The Lord is my Shepherd



The book I read that walks through the Christian year says that this week, the fourth Sunday after Easter, we reflect on Christ as our Shepherd. Naturally, Psalm 23 was the first passage to reflect on. 

I remember as a child being beset by anxiety and fear. My heart riddled with suspicion that catastrophe was right around the corner. My mom, being the mother she is, gave me a laminated card with Psalm 23 on it and told me to memorize the passage, cling to it in the dark moments. I remember being in my bedroom holding tightly to that card and trying to cling even tighter to the words. I remember saying them out loud until I could recite them without looking. And maybe the fear and anxiety didn't go away miraculously in that moment but something in my heart was transforming because of those words. 

Psalm 23 is a light post for so many people. When the waves of fear and worry and tragedy and heartbreak set in, Psalm 23 offers a comfort for us, a message of hope, a picture of our Savior being with us and for us.

The image of Christ as our Shepherd has always been a beloved image to me. Because aren't we like sheep and don't we need a Shepherd? 

This week I want to continue to reflect on the psalm here, letting the maybe familiar to you passage bring us something new. I pray you and I will begin to read it with an open heart and fresh eyes.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely good and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


image: source




Comments

Popular Posts