your rod and your staff they comfort me

 


"your rod and your staff they comfort me."

"The symbol represents the concern and compassion that a shepherd has for his sheep. The rod conveys the concept of authority, power, discipline and defense of the sheep. The staff represents all that is long suffering and kind." - Atchison Globe

I've always been struck by this line. Aren't these tools also a means of discipline? And they bring comfort? And I'm reminded of David's words: "blessed is the man you discipline" and "direct my footsteps according to your word." 

The word discipline sometimes sounds to our ears harsh but we can forget how good it can be for us. Think of a child without rules, without boundries, without discipline. They almost cry out for it! They want the boundaries, they want to know what is right and what is wrong.

We rebel and we scoff at being guided, being led, being told what is right and wrong. We want our independence and we want to do what is right in our own eyes. But goodness does not often control us. Emotions do. Hurt does. Anger does. We let our ideas of how things should be and what we deserve guide us and our decisions. And we need someone greater to guide us into what is not only good for others but good for us. 

Psychologists encourage those beset with sadness to serve others. It's the last thing a person feeling sad might want to do but it can be the medicine needed. Our Shepherd knows what is good for us, too. He knows that though it may not feel easy, living according to his word is the best thing for us. And don't you want help to live in this way? Don't you sometimes feel out of control or unable to act how you want and you need the gentle rod of the Father to guide you into the way of life and goodness?

May we be receptive and may we see this correction as good even if our human nature balks at it. May we learn to hear the loving correction of our Father as loving and may we walk in his ways knowing it brings life.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I lack nothing.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,

he refreshes my soul.

He guides me along right paths for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,

I will fear no evil, for you are with me;

your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

Surely  your goodness and love will follow me

all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."


Comments

Popular Posts