he counsels me



As this child of mine grows larger, so does my belly. Drawing closer to holding my sweet daughter means the "growing pains" increase. They are minimal and a willing sacrafice made to have her, but still they cannot be ignored. I lie down at night wondering if I will be able to sleep. The itching, the leg cramps, or just simply the insomia that often comes with pregnancy keeps me up.

Again, all worth it for this child that is to come. 

But these less than sleep-filled nights have brought with it a deeper love for Psalm 16 and the verses, "I will bless the lord who counsels me---even at night when my thoughts trouble me. I always let the Lord guide me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken...You reveal the path of life to me; in your presence is abundant joy; at your right hand are eternal pleasures."

We are a culture not unfamiliar with sleepless nights. Products and podcasts and books are devoted to the topic of how to get more sleep, better sleep, more "productive" sleep. Often, it is at night that our worries rise up like monsters and our thoughts spiral. Or perhaps, like me, you face some physical symptom which prohibits sleep. Sleep doesn't come easy for many and as I reflect on that, this passage is one to cling to. 

Often at night is when I reflect on the situations in my life that need attention. The ones that concern me, delight me, or confound me. The hurts, dissapointments, despair, confusion. And David reminds us that we serve a God who can counsel us in these situations. He can show us the path of life, the way of life, which is his way. 

My mind might encircle upon a problem and I can offer it to him, praying without ceasing and with thanksgiving as Paul instructs, allowing the Spirit to guide me into what I should do. Allowing our Great Counselor to show us the path of life. 

What would it be like to ask our Guide what we might do that would lead to life in particular situations? What would it be like to add life, seek life, and go towards life? 

This likely would reveal the ways we are not seeking life in situations. The ways we are sowing seeds of decay and death. And perhaps, as we turn to our Guide, He will show us the seeds we do need to plant. 

I write this without a step by step plan for us, but as an encouragement to you and myself: seek life. Ask our Great Counselor for his wisdom. Become curious about how to walk towards life in the situation currently before you and ask him to reveal the path. It may begin with confession. It may begin with a kind word. It may begin with shutting up. It may begin with saying the hard truth even if you won't be liked anymore. Whatever it may be, ask the one who came to bring life to you for direction.

As Psalm 16 comes to a close, the psalmists writes, "My heart is glad and my whole being rejoices; my body also rests securely."

May our bodies rest securely, dear friends, as we seek the path of life with our Great Guide who counsels us.

Comments

Popular Posts