epiphany

 


I didn't grow up in a denomination connected to the church calendar. Friends in school would talk about what they gave up for Lent and every so often I'd hear something about Advent, but it wasn't part of our church's rhythm. As an adult, I have been part of churches that are more connected to the seasons within the church calendar, some more so than others. My world has opened up to the seasons of Advent, Christmastide, Ordinary Time, and so on. 

I know little, however, of the time we are currently in: Epiphany. In my readings about the time, I have learned that different denominations hold this time differently. Some have it for a set time and some carry it out until the beginning of Lent. But in the little I do know I have understood the focus to be on this: light and beauty. 

This seems particularly timely for me as the weeks after the Christmas and New Year holidays leave me feeling lacking in both. It is dark and dreary, the trees are barren, the ground shows no flowers or life.

And yet epiphany speaks of quite the opposite.

Lately, Anderson and I have been having some breakfasts at the dining room table and I will light the pillar candles. Suddenly, our morning seems all the more magical. Our ordinary peanut butter toast and coffee seems more than ordinary. It's beautiful.

We celebrate in Epiphany the light that has come, Emmanuel. We look for the beauty to be found which show us the goodness of God. We seek ways to bring more of Emmanuel, God with us, this light and beauty, to those around us.  

Light illuminates the darkness. Beauty makes order out of chaos. Goodness opposes the ways of sin and self-seeking. 

And as I lean into this season of epiphany I look for ways to bring in more light and beauty, often in the expressly tangible for it is in these everyday practices that God can bring about truths in a deep and meaningful way to our hearts.

So I light the candles. I seek to find beautiful light within our homes. I grab whatever evergreen greenery I can from the outside and put it a vase. I put the milk for my coffee in a floral dispenser. I make nourishing stew and bread. I clean out the garage. I listen to beautiful music. I watch beautiful films. I read beautiful books. I read poetry aloud. I wash the dishes and tidy the home. I make the bed. I write down where I have seen goodness in my day. 

I look for ways to add light, to create beauty and order, and I try to find the goodness of God in the everyday. 

Do you celebrate epiphany? What are the ways you celebrate?


These two podcasts have been encouraging as I reflect on the goodness and beauty of God.

Comments

Popular Posts